Wednesday, August 15, 2012

When Life Hands You Lemons...



As the saying goes, "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade."  Everyone has their "lemons" that life has handed them.  Of course some lemons are much worse than others.  One of my "lemons" in life is probably the military life.  Deployments, moving every 2-3 years, and being so far away from friends and family.  But the question I ask is, are lemons really so bad?  I like lemons!  I almost like them just as much as I like lemonade.  The lemons in our life are what make us strong.  They teach us lessons.  And without the lemons, we could never make lemonade.  At first taste of military life is may seem sour, but there are so many sweet things that have come with it.

So my lemon of a military life makes it quite impossible to have any sort of career.  I've been so blessed to be a stay at home mom but for some reason for me I've always felt a need to have a career of some sort just to supplement our income.  I've taught math here and there, but there is this creative side of me I've always wished I could do something with.  So this year when life handed me lemons I made Mom's Lemonade Stand, my little Etsy shop!  I make children's clothes and quilts.  It's my way to make use of my creativity and supplement my family's income while still being at home and moving so often to who knows where!  Check it out at www.etsy.com/shop/MomsLemonadeStand

Lately I've been using my Mom's Lemonade Stand facebook page for most of my sales so take a look and click the "like" button!



What's in a name?  That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet" -Juliet (Rome and Juliet by Shakespeare)

I keep saying I will explain the name of my blog!  Well it came from my latest venture this year!  My Etsy store.  I was trying to think of a more catchy name, but then my son gave me all the inspiration I needed.  I had finished making a quilt and as usual I held it up for my husband to see.  My 7 year old son walked in and said, "mom, we should set up a lemonade stand for you so you can sell your quilts." Right then and there I had my name, Mom's Lemonade Stand.  It may not be the most catchy of names, but to me it has so much meaning behind it and came from my son's sweet little imagination...nothing could be better!  When it came to the name of this blog my friend helped me out with brainstorming and we came up with Sweet Homemade Lemonade.  I think the name lends itself to all the sweet things that may be products from our home.  Be it, sweet things that my kids do and make, crafts I want to share, or lessons from God.





By the way, these great photos were taken by my friend Sarah at www.saradipityphotos.com

Just one more thing...

The saying "when life hands you lemons, make lemonade" always reminds me of Paul when he said, "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." Phil 4:13.  Most people know that verse, but what about the verse before it.  Paul says in Phil 4:12, "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in an and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."   Let us be aware to that Paul is writing this from prison.  Prison!  It's easy to see he had some huge lemons handed to him!  But he definitely took his lemons and made lemonade and how?  He says he figured it out.  He figured out the secret of how to take lemons and make lemonade.  He figured out the secret of how to be content in every situation and that is "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."  The key is to trust fully in Christ.  To focus on the blessings He has given you in life.  Focus on the lemonade and not the lemons.  Paul shows us this in verse 8 as he states, "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."

Thanks for reading!  Now go make some lemonade!!

No comments:

Post a Comment